Newbie: Nikon D5200 Shots so slow, help please!
  •  
      I am new to DSLR's and while I was practicing learning manual with my old camera that let me do so (but was not a DSLR) I am still very lost. Right off the bat with the D5200 using auto I notice it takes seconds between taking a shot and being able to take another. My old camera was not even this slow. What am I missing? It is slow even when just shooting medium sized jpg images. 

Thank you for your patience, I look forward to any advice. I don't ever plan on being a photographer but rather just want to be a mother who can capture some great shots of the kids to have for years to come as I have an illness that robs me of my memories and this will just get worse with time. I need to learn as much as a I can as quickly as I can I can capture as much as I can now! 

All the best, 
      Kimberly 
  • shoot in the continuous mode (4got exact name of the mode) and if your using manual mode, possibly increase your shutter speed =]
  • as per jnywkz  advise, shutter speed is probably the issue here.
    i's strongly recommend reading the camera manual!

btw what SD card are you using?

• @BookGoddess - Are you shooting with the live mode? In other words, are you looking through the small view finder, or through the lcd screen? 

• It is a common mistake to use all the features at once. On a different not I suggest turning off all the filters and learn the basics one step at a time. Such as noise Active D lighting OFF, Set Picture Control to Standard, Bracketing OFF, and Long Exposure NR OFF. But as stated above AF-S with Live View (the screen on the back) are the most likely problem here. Also are you using at-least a class 6 or better SD card? I suggest a class 10 (SanDisk Ultra or Extreme). You have a VERY fast camera with the ESpeed III processor.

Don't forget to check for firmware updates too.

•    Thank you all, I need to find out how to turn on continuous mode, I do remember doing this for my Canon now that it is brought up. 

I am reading the manual but alas, sometimes it is more clear and much faster to simply ask questions to people. I hope this is ok to do and not too annoying? 

I was using the LCD, but it is not giving me play back after the image is taken so I thought that wouldn't slow it down? I have glasses and so the view finder is hard for me. Even with sharpening the view finder, when take the camera from my eye I can't then see anything. LOL (Not sure what live mode is?) 

Memory Card! Eeeep! This is an issue I didn't even think about. It is a 32gb (4). Frack. I will order a better one now and see if that helps too! 

Thank you so much! 
  • P.S. How do I check for firmware? 
  • like others said, most likely low shutter speed. aim camera to the sky and see if its faster
  • dluepnitzdluepnitz
    Accepted Answer
    Post capture play back) will extend the life of the battery not speed up the capture speed. The menu where you see AF-S is where you change to Continuous.

Live view is clearly your problem.

Ebay is where I buy all mine. There is some risk of counterfeit but I haven't had any problems yet. I thought I had two fakes. But when I called SanDisk they explained how to test with a program called ATTO. Everything was good.

It appears the D5200 doesn't have a firmware yet. But here is where to check in the future.
    http://support.nikonusa.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/13783#Anchor-DSLR-3800 

• MosMos
    Accepted Answer
    @Bookgoddess - While memory cards can be an issue, I don't think they are in this case. 
    Neither is shutter speed (if you are using auto, the camera automatically limits it to no slower than 1/60)

It is the live view. What happens is that when you can see the movement on your screen (like you would on a point and shoot), the mirror on your camera is up. To take a picture, you mirror has to go down, the shutter actuates, and then it goes up. (or something like that). 

The live view is also the reason why you cannot see the picture after it is taken. 

What you will need to do is get it out of live view and look through the viewfinder. There is a little lever just next to the "mode" dial. It will show a little "Lv". Try it till the screen goes black. 

In your user manual (at least in English), you'll find this on page 93
  • heylo everyone,

I am a newbie to dslrs too. I bought the nikon d5200. I wasnt even sure about the lag time, until my frend pointed out that his d5100 has none.

One reason I understand could be the card. So next I am buying the class 10 card.

Other than that, The explanation about the working of the camera seems legit. But then the same should be with the d5100 also? This isnt the case, as we compared it.

Also, I tried changing the AF-S. It gives me 3 options, viz.. AF-S, AF-F and MF.

Its been less than a month that I have the camera. And im pretty freaked out, if this is a problem with my camera alone. Should I be visiting the service center? Or is it some settings issue, that can be resolved.

Kindly advise.

• By the way, I tried the aiming on sky thing to check shutter speed. 
    The thing is, when I click by viewing with the view finder, almost immediately the shot is on my screen. But when I view through the display screen, I can hear the shutter, the click almost as soon as well. And even if I move the camera after that sound, theres no effect on the image. But the image appears after a few seconds. It is quite difficult to go ahead and click the next shot and have to keep waiting for the earlier one to load.
  • Quote @Mos:
    "It is the live view. What happens is that when you can see the movement
    on your screen (like you would on a point and shoot), the mirror on your
    camera is up
    . To take a picture, you mirror has to go down, the shutter
    actuates, and then it goes up.
    (or something like that)."

same issue aplies to you. The D5200 uses a mirror in front of your sensor to show you the image through the optical viewfinder. When you want to make pictures in Liveview (Lv-Button) the mirror has to go up so that the sensor can pick up the light and show the result on your screen. When you press the shutter button the normale "Procedure" is activated.

1. mirror goes down.
    2. Flips up again (reveals the 2 curtains in front of the sensor)
    3. Front curtain goes down (revealing the sensor -> light hitting the sensor)
    4. after the exposure (shutter speed) you/your camera set:  second curtain comes down to prohibit further exposure.
    5. mirror snaps back down.

Picture will save now.

But because you were in Liveview (Lv), your camera will activate Liveview again -> flipping up the mirror, activating your screen + sensor, data transfer, ....

That takes alot of time, if you compare it to just snapping a picture without Liveview, through the viewfinder.

DSLRs are not really meant to be used for happy snapping in liveview. If you want this feature a mirrorless camera would've been your choice.

hope that helps!

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion